So, how to do hair rigs for angling? In the last century in England, a method of a rod was created, in which the bait was not attached to the hook, but to a different leash. It is still used today especially if you are catching carp and another big sazan.
A distinctive feature of the hair rod is that the hook is always open and free from the nozzle. So that the hook doesn’t go for the lip of the fish, but fish itself spits out the hook, which then catches the sazan.
You can craft a hair rod in many different ways. However, the base is a branch from the floating line, braids or A higher material. It is where the nozzle stand. It believed that the hair rod is ideal for catching large sazan wich habitat is close to the bottom. Including the sazan, which prefers sucking the food into its mouth, rather than grab or swallow it, like many predators usually do.
It is why hair rods are so to lose the nozzle to make long casts safely in angling. It takes into account the behaviour of it and also avoids situations when the fish after swallowing the bait feel the hook and spits it out, “avoiding the meeting” with the angler. There are other advantages, about them we will tell further.
Advantages and disadvantages of hair rod when catching
The first step is to get to know this rod. Learn all the pros and cons, so that when you’re out there fishing, you won’t get a surprise. Let’s start with the disadvantages of the hair rods. In fact, there are two of them:
It can hook on stones, algae, roots and grass. The hook remains completely more significant, so it is necessary to catch carefully on glueing areas of water.
Increased risk of entanglement, because from the bare hook goes one more short leash. And that, perhaps, is all. There are no more flaws in the hair.
But the advantages are more significant:
The most secure fixation of bait (boilies, pellets, corn), allowing to lose the nozzle to make long casts safely.
A more natural bait. Due to what the number of bites increases.
The minimal chances to damage fish (this is important because most anglers catch on the principle of “caught-released”)
A higher number of successful bites compared to other options. Often, the carp even picks itself, trying to spit out the hook.
Ease of installation. It is another plus of the hair rod, which does not require expensive materials, and every angler can do it.
How to make a hair rod with your own hands
Whatever gear you choose for angling, the hair rod will show the best results. Many fishers actively use it even on a float floating rod, angling from the shore. Also, catching carp on hair rod allows fixing boilies, pellets, corn, peas, chickpeas more effectively.
It will be useful for each angler to learn about how to do hair assembly by yourself:
1. Preparing the leash (“hair”) to do this, you need fluorocarbon, braid, etc. It’s available in angling stores with special material for leashes. You can use it. The length should be somewhere 20-25 cm. You can cut the leftovers.
2. At one end of the “hair”, we knit a loop to fasten the stopper, which then will hold the bait. You can do this with the help of a usual strong knot.
3. Then take a reasonably thin silicone tubing (of such thickness that it tightens the hook). You can buy it in fishery stores. Cut off a piece of it about 3 mm long. You can add even more – depends on the size.
4. We put the silicone tube on the fore-end of the hook. Recall, this is the straight part, located between the rear-end and the head. In this case, the container should take place opposite the hooks stitch.
5. Then through the silicone tube and the eyelet of the hook, we pass the line (cord, braid, etc., that you have chosen for installation). And that’s the end, where there are no eyelets for the stopper. In this case, pay attention to the length of the leash – because the more lines you pass through the tube and the eye of the hook, the shorter it will be.
6. Then tie the free end of the path to the hook and the main leash. It is also possible, for greater security, to wind it around the forearm several times.
7. Though it is not necessary, different connections of the material with the hook do not interfere with glueing. For that, you can use, both waterproof “Moment” or special glue from favourite brands.
Which nozzles are better to use with hair brushes?
Angling for carp is different from catching any other fish because of its variety of used attachments. However, not all of them successfully combine with hair equipment. Therefore, it is not recommended to use various baits (worm, sponge, bloodworm, etc.) and dough.
It is best to catch with a hair rod using:
- paste (if you prepare your paste like Steve Ringer, you’ll have a good landing);
- cubes of boiled potatoes;
- various boilies, etc.