What is a hair rod?
In the last century in England, a method of a rod was created, in which the bait was not attached to the hook, but to a different leash. It is still used today. Especially, if you are catching carp and other big fish.
A distinctive feature of the hair rod is that the hook is always open and free from the nozzle. So that the hook doesn’t go for the lip of the fish, but the fish itself spits out the hook, which then catches the fish.
You can craft a hair rod in a many different ways. However, the base is a branch from the fishing line, braids or A higher material. It is where the nozzle is placed. It is believed that the hair rod is ideal for catching large fish wich habitat is close to the bottom. Including the carp, which prefers sucking the food into its mouth, rather than grab or swallow it, like many predators usually do.
It is why hair rods are so to lose the nozzle to make long casts safely in carp fishing. It takes into account behaviour of carp and also avoids situations when the fish, after swallowing the bait, feel the hook and spits it out, “avoiding the meeting” with the fisher. There are other advantages, about them we will tell further.
Advantages and disadvantages of hair rod when catching carp
The first step is to get to know this rod. Learn all the pros and cons, so that when you’re out there fishing, you won’t get a surprise. Let’s start with the disadvantages of the hair rods. In fact, there are two of them:
It can hook on stones, algae, roots and grass. The hook remains completely more significant. So it is necessary to catch carefully on glueing areas of water.
Increased risk of entanglement, because from the bare hook goes one more short leash.
And that, perhaps, is all. There are no more flaws in the hair.
But the advantages are greater:
The most secure fixation of bait (boilies, pellets, corn), allowing to safely lose the nozzle to make long casts.
A more natural bait. Due to what the number of bites increases.
The minimal chances to damage fish (this is important because most carp fishers catch fish on the principle of “caught-released”)
A greater number of successful bites compared to other options. Often, the carp even picks itself, trying to spit out the hook.
Ease of installation. It is another plus of the hair rod, which does not require expensive materials, and every fisher can do it.
How to make a hair rod with your own hands
Whatever gear you choose for carp fishing, the hair rod will show the best results. Many carp fishers actively use it even on a float fishing rod, fishing from the shore. Also, catching carp on hair rod allows to fix boilies, pellets, corn, peas, chickpeas more effectively.
It will be useful for each fisher to learn about how to do hair assembly by yourself:
1. Preparing the leash (“hair”). To do this, you need fluorocarbon, braid, etc. It’s available in fishing stores with a special material for leashes. You can use it. The length should be somewhere 20-25 cm. You can cut the leftovers.
2. At one end of the “hair” we knit a loop to fasten the stopper, which then will hold the bait. You can do this with the help of a usual strong knot.
3. Then take a fairly thin silicone tubing (of such thickness that it tightens the hook). It is also sold in fishing stores. Cut off a piece of it about 3 mm long. You can add even more – depends on the size.
4. We put the silicone tube on the fore-end of the hook. Recall, this is the straight part, located between the rear-end and the head. In this case, the tube should take place opposite the hooks stitch.
5. Then through the silicone tube and the eyelet of the hook we pass the line (cord, braid, etc., that you have chosen for installation). And that’s the end, where there are no eyelets for the stopper. In this case, pay attention to the length of the leash – because the more lines you pass through the tube and the eye of the hook, the shorter it will be.
6. Then tie the free end of the line to the hook and / or to the main leash. It is also possible, for greater security, to wind it around the forearm several times.
7. Though it is not necessary, different connections of the material with the hook do not interfere with gluing. For that, you can use, both waterproof “Moment” or special glue from favourite carp brands.
Which nozzles are better to use with hair brushes?
Fishing for carp is different from catching any other fish because of its variety of used attachments. However, not all of them successfully combine with hair equipment. Therefore, it is not recommended to use various baits (worm, sponge, bloodworm, etc.) and dough.
It is best to catch with a hair rod using:
- paste (if you prepare your paste like Steve Ringer, you’ll have a good landing);
- cubes of boiled potatoes;
- various boilies, etc.